Saturday, May 1, 2010

My sports study guide.

The opinions in this post are only those of the author. And...maybe Terrell Owens. At least...it should be that way.

Do things look a little different? That's right, TBF is all new! You may be able to smell the fresh paint as you read this blog.
(OK, if you really are smelling fresh paint, your next stop should probably be the emergency room) The black layout is a bit depressing. I couldn't have been the only one with thoughts of suicide after reading my entry about baseball. (And no, that wasn't the goal!) Hopefully the new look will be comforting to you as you read. I'm feeling warm already.

So, I happen to know a lot about sports. I don't say this to gloat; being a sports nerd is not something that you can just stumble upon (Well, technically, you could just stumble on the Internet and find every Super Bowl winner since the first one). The truth is, even though I know a good bit of historical stuff, there's always new stuff to keep me on my toes.

What's that? You want to know what I use to keep up? Sure, I'll tell ya!

If you ever want to know stuff like, "Why in the world would someone ask Dez Byrant if his mother was a prostitute? Or "should Dwyane Wade stay in Miami?" instead of waiting for me to blog about it, (not gonna happen, folks) I figured I could give you some of the sites that I use for keeping fresh with the sports world. I have a feeling you'll be thanking me lady. And, don't worry, I will never lead you to places like this.

ESPN
OK, this one is a little too easy. But how can you pass up a site that refers to itself as The Worldwide Leader in sports? Of course, you can get all your scores and highlights. There's also plenty of sports satire, from The Sports Guy to Tuesday Morning Quarterback (hot during NFL season).
If you're looking to really get your nerd on, you can get premium content by being an Insider (you can even get a magazine subscription out of it!). Of course, I'm not suggesting that you actually pay money; there's plenty of free content to whet your appetite.

Sports Blogs
I don't really consider this to be much of a "sports" blog, especially considering that I wrote about American Idol in great length last year. Anyway, it's nice to see that there are people around who are willing to take athletes/networks/important sports people to task, even if most of the stuff is of TMZ variety. The site I check on a regular basis is The Big Lead, but Sports by Brooks seems to have some legitimate information every now and then as well. Of course, there is also Deadspin, but I'm really not much of a fan. But. It's still a sports blog.

All Things Football
I may or may not be grossly attached to football. Actually, it is a bit sad. But hey, this blog isn't really ABOUT me. Anyway, there are plenty of sites geared to helping you increase your football IQ. If you are particular to college, advanced statistics, or insight into college and NFL, then there's definitely a site for you. While the fun really picks up during football season, it doesn't hurt to stay abreast during the off-season, even if your goal is simply to impress/annoy your friends at the bar.

Obviously, this is a very small sample of what's available on the Internet when it comes to sports. But, if the goal is to actually know what you're talking about instead of sounding like a know it all because you can use phrases like PECTOA and UZR, then you can't go wrong with the sites mentioned above. So, soak it all in and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment